The Co-Designing Encounters with Digital Cultural Heritage booklet can be downloaded here. The booklet
contains more detailed information than this website and was designed to serve as a resource for cultural heritage
professionals interested in co-design.
The website and the booklet are part of the D1.1 meSch deliverable. An abbreviated version of the accompanying report is available for download here.
If you are interested in reading more about the co-design perspective and activities in meSch, these are our publications related to co-design in both academic and cultural heritage-related venues:
- Ciolfi, L., Avram, G., Maye, L., Dulake, N., Marshall, M. T., van Dijk, D. and McDermott, F. (2016),”Articulating Co-Design in Museums: Reflections on Two Participatory Processes”, In Proceedings of the 19th ACM Conference Companion on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing (CSCW’16 Companion). ACM, New York, NY, USA
- Petrelli,D., Dulake, N., Marshall, M., Kockelkorn, H., Pisetti, A. (2016) Do It Together: The effect of curators, designers and technologists sharing the making of new interactive visitors’ experiences, The Annual Conference of Museums and the Web, 6-9 April 2016, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Ciolfi, L. and Petrelli, D. (2015),” Walking and designing with cultural heritage volunteers.” interactions 23, 1 (December 2015), 46-51
- Marshall, M., Petrelli, D., Dulake, N., Not, E., Marchesoni, M., Trenti, E. and Pisetti, A. (2015) Audio-based narratives for the trenches of World War I : intertwining stories, places and interaction for an evocative experience. In the International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 85, 27-39.
- Ciolfi, L. and Petrelli, D. (2015), “Studying a Community of Volunteers at a Historic Cemetery to Inspire Interaction Concepts”. In De Cindio, F., Pipek, V. and Avram, G. (Eds.), Proceedings of Communities & Technologies 2015 , Limerick (Ireland), 27 June-1 July 2015.
- Ciolfi, L., Petrelli, D., McDermott, F., Avram, G. and van Dijk, D. (2015), “Co-Design to Empower Cultural Heritage Professionals as Technology Designers: The meSch Project”, in Bihanic, D. (Ed.), Empowering Users Through Design, London: Springer, 213-224
- Maye, L., McDermott, F., Ciolfi, L., and Avram, G. (2014) Interactive exhibitions design: what can we learn from cultural heritage professionals? In Proceedings of the 8th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Fun, Fast, Foundational (NordiCHI ’14). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 598-607.
- Avram, G.(2014), Enriching Smart Artefacts with a Social Dimension , Personal or Social? Designing Mobile Interactions for Co-located Interaction workshop at NordiCHI ’14, 27 October 2014, Helsinki, Finland
- McDermott, F., Maye, L., Avram, G. (2014) Co-designing a Collaborative Platform with Cultural Heritage Professionals, In Proceedings of iHCI 2014, 1-2 September 2014, Dublin.
- McDermott, F., Clarke, L., Hornecker, E., Avram, G. (2013) Challenges and opportunities faced by cultural heritage professionals in designing interactive exhibits , Proceedings of the NODEM 2013 Conference, Stockholm, December 2013
- Petrelli, D., Ciolfi, L., van Dijk, D., Hornecker, E., Not, E. and Schmidt, A. (2013), “Integrating Material and Digital: A New Way for Cultural Heritage”, ACM Interactions, July + August 2013, 58-63
- Ciolfi, L. (2013), “The Collaborative Work of Heritage: Open Challenges for CSCW”, in Bertelsen, O.W., Ciolfi, L., Grasso, M.A. and Papadopoulos, G. A.,(Eds), Proceedings of ECSCW 2013, London: Springer, 83-101
- Maye, L. (2013) “Sustainable DIY Technologies Servicing Cultural Heritage Professionals”, EUD for Sustainability in Maker Communities, Workshop co-located with the Fourth International Symposium on End-User Development, ITU Copenhagen, June 2013
- Maye, L. (2013) ‘Supporting DIY Approaches for Cultural Heritage Professionals through Digital Technology’, in Gulliksen, J., Lingaard, G., Robertson, T. and van Greunen, D., chairs, 14th IFIP TC13 Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: INTERACT2013, 2 – 6 Sept.
- Ciolfi, L., Petrelli, D., Dulake, N., Goldberg, R., Caparrelli, F., Marshall, M. T. and Willox, Matt (2013), “Exploring historical, social and natural heritage: Challenges for tangible interaction design at Sheffield General Cemetery”, in Proceedings of NODEM 2013, Stockholm December 2013
- Bellucci, A., Díaz, P., Aedo, I., Malizia, A.(2014), Prototyping device ecologies: physical to digital and viceversa, in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction(TEI’14), 373-376.
- Bellucci, A., Díaz, P., Aedo, I.(2014), Digitally augmented narratives for physical artefacts, in Proceedings of the 2014 International Working Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces(AVI ’14): 229-232.
- Díaz, P., Aedo, I., Cubas, J.(2014), CoDICE: balancing software engineering and creativity in the co-design of digital encounters with cultural heritage, in Proceedings of the 2014 International Working Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces,(AVI ’14 ), 253-256.
- Bellucci, A., Aedo, I., Díaz, P. (2014), ECCE toolkit: prototyping UbiComp device ecologies, in Proceedings of the 2014 International Working Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces(AVI ’14), 339-340.
- the meSch project website;
- the meSch Flickr albums;
- CoDICE (Codesigning DIgital Cultural Encounters)– a software platform for bridging software engineering and design thinking.
Here is a small collection of additional resources that we would recommend, if you would like to find out more information.
General Co-Design Resources
- Making the future, one prototype at a time (a collection of social design methods and toolkits compiled by Nesta).
- Nesta and Rockefeller Foundation DIY Toolkit (participatory tools)
Hardware prototyping kits: